Friday, February 24, 2012

Days 117, 118, 119

Wed., Thurs., Fri.  02/22,23,24/12  Days 117, 118, 119  103 miles 3,680 total
Wed. I had camp grounds all to my self and decided to stay an extra day.  Wrote until my lap top battery gave out.  Thursday:  Try to get a ride for about three hours when a park services officer stops to to tell me I can't hitchhike on the Trace Parkway.  On Tues. I had talked to two rangers and told them what I was doing and they said nothing about no hitchhiking.  Officer Scott was just doing his job, but it caused me a real problem.  I have close to 400 miles left on my jaunt up the Trace and now I can't hitchhike.  He takes me to the next exit.  I know he felt bad, he gave me his last $5 for the kids and assures me he is going to buy my book off this web site.  Hwy. 27 turns out to be a nightmare.  No shoulder to walk on and I try till almost dark to get a ride.  Give up and roll out bed roll by old church / cemetery.  It was kind of funny as someone a few days earlier told me if I wanted a place to camp where no one would bother me, camp by a cemetery.  Friday, after a few hours, John picks me up and takes me to Vicksburg.  He drives me around trying to find a affordable place to stay to no avail.  He stops at a store and I get some supplies and he drops me off at the north end of town.  John is a retired truck driver and he slips $20 in pocket for the kids.  Walk a few miles out of town before Monty a very nice ag. guy from La. gives me a ride to Yahoo City, Ms. I am beat, dirty, batteries dead, and decide to take advantage of a gift from my good friend and former boss, Pat Dolan, and get a room and write this blog.  First and second picture are outside and inside of a Methidist Church build at Rocky Springs in 1837.  Third is of a grave marker for a Mr. Harding... 1780 / 1865.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment. It lets us know you have stopped by our blog and what you think. We would appreciate it if you add your name to your post so we know who you are. :)

If you have any questions, please send an email and we will reply. Have a blessed day!